St. Elphin’s church, is a tall spired and ancient church building that belongs to the anglican church, under the archdeaconry of Warrington and the diocese of liverpool, in the anglican communion. It is popular for its very tall spire which makes it the eighth tallest spined church in England, with its spire standing at about 281 feet high.
The site St elphin is built on, has always been used as a place of worship, dating as far back as 650AD. The nameof this parish,was gotten from the first priest ever, that served there, Elphin, who served and died in active service in the year 679 AD. In 1354, sir William boteler rebuilt the church, but it was destroyed during the civil. Again, rebuilding of the church started again, in the year 1696. Gradually the rebuilding, continued throughout the years– from the nave, to the southern aisle and the spine; each 1770, 1859 and 1867 respectively. The restoration of the church didn’t exclude the bells and the clock, shortly after, they too were restored.
There is a chapel within the church, named St. Ann’s chapel, which was originally known as the lady’s chapel, when it was founded in 1290 by Sir John Boteler. However in the year 1448, it got its present name, by the rector in charge at that time, called Thomas massey. It was owned by the massey family till every member of the family died. The chapel was also acquired and managed by the potten family which later died off as well. The building of St. Elphin’s church, is classified as second grade. The gateway of the church is old and dates as far back as the 18th century.
In present day, the place called the regimental chapel of the Duke of lancaster, was the former Boteler chapel also known then lady’s chapel. This chapel, is where Sir Boteler and his wife were laid to rest. St. Elphins Church always attracts tourists, because of its gothic, yet beautiful style of building. The presiding priest over the parish is Rev. Paul Wilson. From the past to present, this church has held so many baptisms, marriage, and countless funerals. Presently, a cemetery is located in the compound of the church.
How to Locate St. Elphin’s church Warrington
The nearest train stations to St Elphin’s church are sainsburys howdy, Warrington Central, Warrington Bank Quay which are 261 metres, 1136 metres and 1698 metres respectively. If you are coming from Sainsburys it is a 4 minutes walk, from warrington central it is a 15 minutes walk and from Warrington Bank Quay, it’s a 22 minutes walk. If you are interested in trains that stop near the church, the closest train lines that do that are; AVANTI WEST COAST, TRANSPORT FOR WALES and EAST MIDLANDS RAILWAY. Bus lines that stop close to St. Elphin’s are; 100, 110, 329, 360, 7, X30.
Address: Church St, Warrington WA1 2TL England
Phone number: +44 1925 635020